Sender:John Houghton
Date/Time:2003-Dec-23 20:07:05
Subject:Re: Error messages in PTGUI

PanoTools: Re: Error messages in PTGUI John Houghton 2003-Dec-23 20:07:05
I think the suggestion that you look at the cropping parameters is
probably the correct answer.  I just tried reducing the crop area for
all the images in a project that previously optimized without any
problems and immediately produced your error.

I think it is only with experience that you can look at parameters
and recognize immediately that something is not quite right.  What
you need to remember is that you are trying to create a replica of
the view as seen from the camera position.  Each image is effectively
pasted onto a spherical surface and warped so that when you look from
the centre of the sphere, you see exactly what the camera saw.  If
you took 4 images for the horizontal 360 view, then you would expect
the yaw values of the images to increment by approximately 90
degrees, e.g. 0,90,180,270.  If you kept the camera level, then the
roll and pitch values would be near zero.  Sometimes, you or the
optimizer may get things horribly wrong and the images end up in
completely unreasonable positions.  You can rectify the situation by
entering a sensible set of new values manually, or revert to a recent
copy of the project file.  Altering the image parameters won't affect
the control points, though placing control points inappropriately can
cause the optimizer to position the images in a hopelessly inaccurate
way.  When you get an error message that you don't understand, it is
usually helful to generally look around for something that doesn't
look "right" and which might directly or indirectly point the way to
the root cause of the problem.

John

--- In #removed#, "James Scancella" <#removed#>

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/.Cr1lB/TM