Sender:Fulvio Senore
Date/Time:2005-Sep-17 22:42:01
Subject:Re: Not PTGui - Question on Fspviewer Maximum File Size

PanoTools: Re: Not PTGui - Question on Fspviewer Maximum File Size Fulvio Senore 2005-Sep-17 22:42:01
Wow, it's a really huge file!

Since each pixel uses 4 bytes in most graphic cards (some use 3 but they
seem to be on the road to extinction) your file will use more than 1.2
GB of ram just to store it. You will need such a block of free memory to
open the file, plus some more for other tasks.

FSPViewer should not have memory limitations by itself: it will try to
allocate the needed memory from Windows and it will report an error if
Windows will not be able to allocate it. I am not an expert but you
might have more memory in your computer but, if it is fragmented,
Windows might not be able to find a single block of contiguous memory
large enough.

BTW, even if opening such an image in FSPViewer might be interesting in
order to be able to zoom in a lot, the image quality when viewing at
normal field of view will not be optimal because the image has to be
reduced a lot and the current implementation will degrade image quality
to save speed. You are likely to have a better image quality if you open
a smaller version of the file.

I might think about fixing this problem: in a few years things have
changed a lot and now we are using file sizes that were difficult even
to imagine when I designed the vieweing engine.

Fulvio Senore

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/.Cr1lB/TM