Sender:Yuval Levy
Date/Time:2006-Mar-03 15:10:44
Subject:Re: Summarize: "Brocap" integration

PanoTools: Re: Summarize: "Brocap" integration Yuval Levy 2006-Mar-03 15:10:44
Bernhard Vogl wrote:
> A very embarassing detail i have to admit (which really hurts), that
> everybody seemed to test the script in "fallback mode" due to security
> settings/configuration on the webserver (i assume a missing ::Net lib or
> forbidden remote calls, i have to clear that up)

This is not embarrassing at all, at least not for me :-)

This is a simulation of the worse case scenario. So now you have an idea of what happens if Brocap dies.

The script tries to open a socket to the brocap server to check if it is alive. It waits for a maximum of 10 seconds. If there is no answer, it assumes brocap is dead and life goes on.

To solve the specific problem make sure that PHP has the permission to access the network. It requires the possibility to communicate on port 80 (the standard web port) of the brocap server. I have checked the server logs and there has been no access from austria-360.at

> - let the user choose the plugin: i strongly agree. I want/will incorporate
> this on the entry page and maybe give the extra option on each panorama page

the brocap architecture leaves this choice to the individual site owner.

> - choose another plugin order: A good point.

the brocap architecture leaves this choice to the individual site owner.

> - Search engine compatibility: In my personal point of view, it can't happen
> anything better than the PHP-links disappearing from the search engines.

the brocap architecture leaves this choice to the individual site owner.

> I will work the next days on fixing the bugs and refining the way it works,
> so please keep being as much interested in the soon improved version  ;-)

Thank you for test driving brocap on your site. On the detection side I have corrected the DevalVR detection (see my answer to Fiero later).

Yuv