Sender:HANSEN, MATT
Date/Time:2001-May-03 19:16:05
Subject:RE: Dizzycity hotspots & IPIX patent]

proj-imim: RE: Dizzycity hotspots & IPIX patent] HANSEN, MATT 2001-May-03 19:16:05
I checked DizzyCity out too.  I think they're actually just using IBM's HotMedia for the applet which lets you integrate an image from IPIX.  HotMedia supports cylindrical panos and spherical panos (which they call IPIX - naturally since IPIX invented them, right???).  I think that DizzyCity took their photos and paid the token fees to have them produced through IPIX.  Then, rather than using the IPIX applet (as horrid as it is), they use the HotMedia applet for displaying the image.

I'd be very surprised if IPIX were behind it all; it just doesn't have the same look & feel.  IPIX (in spite of all of its bad practices) does have a professionally looking website, that I don't think DizzyCity has quite achieved yet.  Besides, why would IPIX want to "borrow" the applet from HotMedia, when they can "develop" and patent their own?  IPIX would at least have the sense to overwrite their own and HotMedia's splashscreens.  They're sly, not stupid.

M@