Sender:Helmut Dersch
Date/Time:2000-Apr-16 11:49:31
Subject:Re: PTJViewer user tunning

proj-imim: Re: PTJViewer user tunning Helmut Dersch 2000-Apr-16 11:49:31
gliksman wrote:

> very good image quality (may be a
> little too smooth).

Hi Dennis,

There was a thread some months ago on the qtvr list when
Ken Turkowski desparately tried to defend Quicktime's bilinear rendering
for still images, while some thought the nearest neighbor rendering
during panning looks better. Same for PTViewer: bilinear definitly
is better, although the lower quality while panning may appear
sharper.

> I compared loading speed from the disk , same file, in Explorer 5
> (1200x260 or 1200x228, jpeg, 50-60ko) :
> Cylpan = 4 secondes
> PTJV = 5 secondes
> LivePicture Java = 6 secondes
>
> All the 3 applets seems to use about the same ram, from what i could see
> in "about your computer" (not very precise)

See my separate post on RAM requiremets.

> **** Questions ****
>
> _1_ .jar & .class
>
> The Applet will not work in Communicator (4.5 and 4.7.2 on G4 Mac Os 8.6
> fr) if you don't expand (manually with zip it ) the .jar to get  the .
> class in the same folder as the pages ·

It works on us and german netscape, but not on french versions
(at least from the feedback I reveived so far). I will provide the
class files separately.

> _2_ Colors still look like 16 bits display in Communicator  (4.5 and
> 4.7.2 on Mac )

PTViewer (like the other viewers) uses the java function drawImage()
with a 32bit image. Nevertheless, some java engines (Netscape, but not
MRJ) only render 16bit. I can't do anything about that.

> _3_ Rotation speed is still very low in Communicator (4.5 and 4.7.2 on
> Mac ), even on the G4 450 ·
>( Communicator uses his own java as i discovered recently, is it the
> problem ?·)

Yes. I hope Apple finally convinces Netscape to also use MRJ.

> _4_ I still don't understand what kind of credit we should display and
> where, if we use it plain, as it is.
>
> Helmut writes "Pratically, this means that you have to provide at least
> a link to the download page of PTViewer"
>
> Is it once for the web site, or on every page using the applet ?

The visitor of your website should have no problems finding out
where to get this applet. You don't need a reference on each page,
maybe one at the entrance, or on a separate page where you put
credits.

> _5_ I still don't know what is the best kind of jpegs to use : plain,
> optimised, progressif ?

Depends on the java engine's jpeg implementation.

> _6_ What is interest of using gif, the files are bigger, the image isn't
> as good ?!

gifs are useful (a) for marking hotspots since you can use transparent
images, (b) for displaying text messages (eg notes describing hotspots)
since text looks bad on jpegs, and (c) for panoramic images, if they
are rendered using some CAD program (large areas with uniform color).

> _7_ How does it work on win 98, win 2000, unix , Communicator & Explorer
> ?

I have successful feedback for all these platforms. Actually,
according to one user, PTViewer is the only viewer that runs
under Netscape 6, but I haven't verified that.

I have two reported failures but could not track them to a
specific setup (ie the same setups worked for others).

> _8_ Auto panning ?

Will be added.

Thanks for the feedback! I found two more bugs

o Hotspot coordinates are not read correctly, if you use relative coordinates,
  and at the same time use the small letters 'x' or 'y' in the URL or names.
  The parser gets confused.
o If you move the mouse outside the window while panning, and release the button
  outside the window, panning may not stop. You can stop it by clicking again
  inside the window.

These problems will be fixed in the next upgrade (Friday, if possible).

Helmut Dersch