Sender:Andrew Nemeth
Date/Time:2000-Apr-30 09:06:41
Subject:Re: wavelet compression

proj-imim: Re: wavelet compression Andrew Nemeth 2000-Apr-30 09:06:41
John <#removed#> wrote:

>Professor Dersch, thought you might want to look at this interesting
>article on image compression.   Look at the last image.  It's amazing.
>
>http://www.metastream.com/whitepapers/tech_wp_compression.html

Wavelet compression will be used in the up-coming JPEG2000.

When that happens - who knows?

Alternatively, Luratech have got a wavelet based image compresso rand
decompressor (Lurawave) .  Okay, but not amazing.

<http://www.luratech.com>

I beta tested their QT-based wavelet compressor/deompressor last year.
Had some serious problems, but it worked.  The image quality wasn't
amazingly better or smaller than plain-vanilla JPEG though.

So... wavelet sounds good in theory, but am yet to see a practical
working eg that is significantly better than JPEG.  (Fingers X'ed
it lives up to its promises though!)

Regds,

Andrew N.
<http://nemeng.com>