Sender:Serge Maandag
Date/Time:2006-Mar-05 13:44:24
Subject:RE: Are Nomad Nodal Points really Circles of Confusion?

PanoTools: RE: Are Nomad Nodal Points really Circles of Confusion? Serge Maandag 2006-Mar-05 13:44:24
> It was brought to my attention recently that the nodal point
> in a 10.5mm full-frame fish-eye, (or for that matter
> practically any lens), actually moves around and is NOT a
> fixed spot that can be calibrated precisely for purposes of a
> dedicated pano head configuration.

For rectilinear lenses, the no-parallax-point (NPP) is fixed. For
fisheyes it is not. The bigger the angle a light beam has to the
lens axis, the more the NPP will move towards the front of your
lens. For angles bigger than 90 degrees, the NPP may actually be
outside your lens.

Michel Thoby measured the NPP for various angles some time ago. That
inspired me to do some thinking about the subject and I summarized it
on this page: http://pano.maandag.com/index.php?id=57

Later I came up with this idea:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.panotools/38677

> Did I miss the discussion on this earlier?
> I don't necessarily want this to be a long winded debate like DOF.

Most of the discussion was off-list, a group of smart people determined
what the NPP really is and documented it in the wiki link Milko
mentioned.

Serge.

Op de inhoud van dit e-mailbericht en de daaraan gehechte bijlagen is de inhoud van
de volgende disclaimer van toepassing:  <http://www.zeelandnet.nl/disclaimer.php>