Sender:Gummy Bear
Date/Time:2001-Jul-20 19:06:38
Subject:Re: jpeg 2000

proj-imim: Re: jpeg 2000 Gummy Bear 2001-Jul-20 19:06:38
 > > I did some subjective tests a while back with the then current jpeg
> > 2000 codec, but I typically only got 15-20% improvement in file
> > size over the standard jpeg codec in use today.
>
> This is a disappointment.
>
> Did you try streaming it over the web? I had been told that the wavelet
> format of JPEG 2000 would provide a nice streaming preview of the image
> that would refine as it downloaded but would show you something after
> the first 4k or so.

No, I didn't try streaming it - the tools for using JPEG  2000 are very limited.

None of the browsers support this format yet, AFAIK.  So you would probably
need an applet to display this in the browser.

I do believe the features you mentioned exist in the JPEG 2000 format, however.

Best,

GB