Sender:Grahame Jastrebski
Date/Time:2000-Apr-27 20:42:05
Subject:Re: download feedback

proj-imim: Re: download feedback Grahame Jastrebski 2000-Apr-27 20:42:05
Hello all,

I have tried the same thing, I created an animated gif that loads up using
the "wait" parameter of the PTveiwer applet, and display a series of "...."
going across the applet window.  I tested it locally to see if it works and
this is what I found:

Macintosh
Netscape 4.7 - okay
IE 4.5 - okay
IE 5.0 - okay

PC
Netscape 4.7 - okay
IE 5.0 - okay

However, when I test the same thing that has been uploaded to a web server,
everything stops working on Netscape on my Macintosh. The animated gif is
not shown, and the applet doesn't even load.  So, I tested out a couple of
other sites that use the applet such as
http://www.la-grange-numerique.com/runPTJV, and it still didn't work.  This
is the error I got...

"Applet ptviewer can't start: class ptviewer got a security violation:
security. Could not resolve IP for host www.la-grange-numerique.com.  See
the trustProxy property."

I even uploaded Helmut's sample page to a web server, and I got the same
error, so my problem is obviously not with the animated gif.

I figured that the problem might have something to do with the proxy server
we have here at work, so I tested everything again using my dial-up modem
connection, and I still got the same error, even after cleaning out the
browser cache and re-launching Netscape.  However, the applet continues to
work over the internet on IE on my Macintosh, as on all the browsers on the
PCs.

So I'm lost, the PTviewer java applet works on Netscape on my Macintosh when
everything is saved locally on my hard drive, but it doesn't seem to work
over the internet. I hope I am not missing something silly... Any ideas?
What is the trustProxy property and how can I change it's settings?

I have been testing everything on a PowerBook G3/500 with OS 9.0.4 if that
helps.

Thank you for all of your time and help, it's very much appreciated.
Grahame

--
Grahame Jastrebski
#removed#