Sender:Luca Vascon
Date/Time:2005-Sep-07 01:13:46
Subject:Re: Re: Fisheye for best quality spherical images on a Canon 350D?

PanoTools: Re: Re: Fisheye for best quality spherical images on a Canon 350D? Luca Vascon 2005-Sep-07 01:13:46
Hi, Barry... Have you tried my template for Sigma RAW???
I half agree with you:
Yes, the Sigma is a pretty good inexpensive lens. It deserves professional
results, it is compact and lightweight.
On a Canon 350 and APSc sixed sensor gives the full sphere in 3(minimum) or
4 shots, or 4+1 (HQ). The result is a 7000 (350D) or a 5800 (D70) long side
pano.
On the other way, 6shots+2 of 10.5 gives in you hand fairly better (also
heavier to handle and produce) panoramas.
A 10.5 is useless if you plan to shift to fullframe sensor (I will, sa soon
as I will be able to pay 4000euros for a 5D).
A Sigma8mm CAN be used on a fullframe... but due to all wasted areas you'll
end with a lower definition.
I'm pushing on the idea of the 16mmfish as the perfect panolens for those
who, for any reason, will switch to fullframe, like me and Barry, but now
are using APSc.
A 16 fish lets you build a perfect pano in 16+2+2 pictures... a VERY hq
multirow with APSc sensors. And a GREAT 6+2 pano with the FullFramesensor,
in both cases using every single sensor pixel.
An 8mm will be always a better tool for APSc 1.5x cameras.

So, the main thing is WHY FULL FRAME? We have softwares able to correct lens
aberrations, we can have that fabulous 80-200 2.8 becoming a 120-300 2.8,
even better cause we only use the center of the optics...
Well. I'm happier if I have not to spend my time on a monitor to adjust
things. I prefer to take pictures.
And I like wideangles. And I'll have my Contax Zeiss lenses on a digital
body... My nikkors and Leica Rs too!
I'll work with the lenses I know and like more.
Ok, I'll say it.
I STILL SHOOT A LOT OF FILM!
:-)