Sender:Romuald/H. D.
Date/Time:2002-Oct-19 17:09:52
Subject:[proj-imim] Re: Underwater Pan, flat or immersive ?

proj-imim: [proj-imim] Re: Underwater Pan, flat or immersive ? Romuald/H. D. 2002-Oct-19 17:09:52
Jacek Gancarson a wrote :

> BTW. Me, As a last century newcomer, i prefer Ptviewer displays, or, as one
> can call them - dynamic views, on a computer screen.
> So the first think I made after I came to the pano site, I save the image
> and placed it in PTviewer in order to know little bit more about the place.

I did that too, for sure, but as Malcolm spoke about printings, I decided not to present a dynamic view. And more ....

> .....Sorry friends, I am totaly out in printing of panoramic canvases. I know
that it is a strong aestetic bias and tradition but how theh... one can
perceive spatial information from them? <

For printing, you don't have to try interpreting spatial info ( in this case, anaglyph are better).
I noticed that a lot of people are definitely disturbed by flat 360 prints, if you told them. But this remains my favorite way to
share "true" images instead of "virtual". So I decided Not to tell : < this image is a pano, look at the edges, they stitch ! >
At least for landscape, the trick is only detected by panoramists or some photographers. And those images are often interesting (apart
subject), particularly the light, which provide some special caracter.

The image Malcolm showed us is absolutely composed for printing.

The 2 differents ways, flat or immersive,  are not opposed. I just think that flat version lets you more freedom to express any
message you want to tell.
The immersive is An action, the flat is Your thought. But may be I'm not good enough to express ideas in dynamic views.
just my 0.02 euros

Congratulations to Malcolm.

Romuald