Sender:Keith Martin keith@...
Date/Time:2015-Jan-12 11:13:09
Subject:Re: Re: Game changer

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: Game changer Keith Martin keith@... 2015-Jan-12 11:13:09
> On 11 Jan 2015, at 20:15, Erik Krause #removed# [PanoToolsNG] <#removed#> wrote:
>
> Here is a tutorial by Wim Koornneef, who pioneered the technique:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3238kxt

A great tutorial it is too!

The challenge of making 3D panoramas is actually rather big. It's simple enough to make a 3D (stereoscopy) photo if it's not interactive panoramic; just shoot a second image from a few inches to one side of the first. The problem comes when rotating to capture pano shots, as you simply cannot rotate two separate viewpoints on a single no-parallax point.

Shooting a pano from one spot and then again from the second spot inches to the side will make a stereo pano that works fine for straight ahead, is totally flat when looking 90 degrees to either side, and feels reversed when looking behind. Shooting with two cameras fixed side by side and rotating both as one will avoid that, but you'll be whole inches off the NPP. We typically talk about millimeter-level NPP adjustments as being fairly big.

Wim's fisheye slice method is very clever; it is the only reasonably workable solution I've heard of. It provides a measure of offset to encourage a feeling of stereo depth in the final product, but the result isn't massively offset and it doesn't require shooting two separate panos. The problem this has is that it requires a few dozen shots at least to produce what I normally make with just three, so it's only really suitable for very static scenes.

I have been experimenting with my iPhone and Google Cardboard. (I'm not allowed to buy the Oculus Rift yet! :) I've made a basic two-up web display of a number of panos, with accellerometer support so head movements are used for looking around. I've noticed that many people think that they're looking at actual 3D panoramas ? not just the terminology mistake, they actually feel they're seeing 3D depth. But of course these are regular panos that are simply shown as a pair and viewed through a simple stereo headset viewer held to the face.

Posted by: Keith Martin <#removed#>