Sender:'Jim Bechtel' mrjimbo2@...
Date/Time:2015-Jan-14 16:36:42
Subject:RE: Re: Game changer

PanoTools NG: RE: Re: Game changer 'Jim Bechtel' mrjimbo2@... 2015-Jan-14 16:36:42
I?ve been following this thread sort of. I think it started with basically a virtual reality concept using head gear .. The idea of using a couple of GoPro?s that are offset is to accommodate stereo imagery which I think would fit well in the concept of doing a 3d pano.. GoPro has a housing that you can but that will accommodate two cameras and the two camera plugged into each other to facilitate stereo.  You can shoot 4k video or stills this way.  There is freeware software to finish the images or video into a functional 3D frame or movie. This same method can be done with DSLR but the camera are then not wired together ..  their are special mounts that will allow you to shoot a frame then slide the camera over and take the second stereo frame. That would likely be problematic  so a mount that holds two DSLR?s would be the way to go.  These are currently available. I have the go Pro set up an da slider mount for a single DSLR.. There is some issues that one has to learn when doing stereo images especially with DSLR?s ..the offset of the camera?s is relative to the distance of the subject.. In my limited use of this I find that really wide angle lens are a challenge. Where this thread is at is quite interesting. I have never tried to do a stereo pano but logically I would think it is very do-able.  As far as video goes Canon currently has a 5k video DSLR an dis working on a more cost effective version. GoPro is also looking at 5k video and my guess is that Nikon also so they don?t fall behind.  My current Dell monitor and video card will accommodate 5k vide although I don?t have the capability to produce it. I think video is driving the industry currently as far as sensor technology  goes the challenge is of course frame rates. Some may be familiar with the Atomos line , I use their Ninja..  Using that you can shoot video directly into it?s SSD. We are all asking to shoot stills into it also. Both Canon and Nikon will likely cooperate with Atomos on this at some point.. My guess Canon first..  No clue if any of this is relative to the thread I thought so so stuck it up here .. Sorry if it?s off base.

jimbo