Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2005-Sep-13 15:47:37
Subject:Re: PTGui 5.0beta3

PanoTools: Re: PTGui 5.0beta3 Erik Krause 2005-Sep-13 15:47:37
I wrote:

> > That's correct. The color correction is just the first stage of the
> > blending algorithm, similar to the lowest-pass blend in Enblend
> > (although it works slightly differently).
>
> This means, that color correction can't be disabled if using the
> PTGui blender? No problem as long as it works, but to my experience
> all color correction techniques can produce very strange results in
> certain cases. It would be good to have the possibility to switch it
> off.

Well, I did some tests for color correction. For this I applied PS
'Auto Levels' to each of the source images to simulate a different
white balance. I got the leftmost tree images with a magenta cast,
the next three ones with a greenish one and the rightmost images
without cast but with higher contrast.

As a result there is a nice and smooth blending between the images -
the greenish cast in the middle is almost gone. However, the magenta
on the left side persits and the sky still shows some cyan in the
middle. This is good since it most likely won't cause strange results
as the panotools own color correction did. However, it won't solve
the problems of users that forgot fix while balance.

A GUI problem: choosing options in one tab page shows or hides
options on other tab pages. This is a behaviour f.e. Ed Hamrick
(author of vuescan) was criticised for, since it confuses the user
more than necessary.

Since the 'Panorama Settings' tab is a bit orphaned if PTGui stitcher
is chosen, wouldn't it be better to leave all options regarding
panorama and blending on the panorama settings tab, move the 'create
philosphere' to the 'create panorama' tab and save one page this way?

best regards

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de/