Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2005-Sep-14 10:50:10
Subject:Re: PTGui 5.0beta3

PanoTools: Re: PTGui 5.0beta3 Erik Krause 2005-Sep-14 10:50:10
On 13 Sep 2005 at 17:15, JD Smith wrote:

> >> Think of this: if Prof. Dersch had distributed PanoTools as closed
> >> source, none of this would exist, not any of the related tools or
> >> front-ends.  It would all have simply faded from memory.  He generously
> >> chose to donate his efforts, and chose to protect that donation with the
> >> GPL.  Should we not respect that decision?
> >
> > Shouldn't we not simply ask him?
>
> Absolutely.  Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, he has backed away
> from PanoTools.

Not entirely. He has done further development of PTViewer. And of
course he is still teaching at Furtwangen University and reachable
there...

> Due to the timing, you can't help but suspect his legal troubles
> contributed to this decision.  Assuming he never again expresses an
> opinion about PanoTools, [...]

About one and a half year ago he expressed his hope that a small
company named ibak goes against ipix patents. Unfortunately they
abandoned the lawsuit later.

[...]
> to me the only fair course of action is to
> respect his last known stance.

True so far. But one could argument that he at least tolerates the
use, since he surely knew of it. IIRC he was still active on the list
when Joost started PTGui and he read the list a few month last year.

But since he didn't express himself perhaps it would be good to ask
the current pano12 developers. It's their work too after all.

best regards

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de/