Sender:JD Smith
Date/Time:2005-Sep-14 18:26:40
Subject:Re: PTGui 5.0beta3

PanoTools: Re: PTGui 5.0beta3 JD Smith 2005-Sep-14 18:26:40
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:59:18 -0400, Yuval Levy wrote:

> JD Smith wrote:
>> With their code and concepts out in the open, it is easy to borrow from
>> open tools; going in the other direction -- borrowing ideas from closed
>> tools -- is nearly impossible.
>

> Richard Stallman himself (the force behind GPL) rewrote large chunks of
> Unix functionality to put it under GPL.
>
> OpenOffice 2.0 implements plenty of ideas from Microsoft's Office suite...
> and the other way around.

OK, rephrasing: borrowing ideas from closed tools is much more
difficult.  I ask again, hypothetically, how far along would PTGui
have gotten with PanoTools?  Would it exist today in the integrated,
streamlined form it has?

My purpose is not to divide.  I would love to continue the situation
we have had for several years: the closed-GUI builders give and take,
contributing back to the free software they have based their tools and
businesses on.  If the improvements in the blender in terms of speed,
etc., could find their way back to Enblend, if the control point
selection algorithms were contributed to autopano-sift, if the
stitching advancements found their way into the PanoTools library,
we'd all still be benefiting.  I realize that would reduce the
competitive advantage of a closed GUI tool, but I think it's the only
fair way to acknowledge the fundamental importance of the free
PanoTools suite to this whole enterprise.

I'll leave it at that.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/.Cr1lB/TM