Sender:Yuval Levy
Date/Time:2006-Mar-05 22:33:53
Subject:Re: Long time lurker with 1DS pano questions

PanoTools: Re: Long time lurker with 1DS pano questions Yuval Levy 2006-Mar-05 22:33:53
Neill Watson wrote:
> However, I want to try my hand at a full screen using my regular Canon
> 1DS but have a few queries I hope can be answered easily:

There is a lot of personal perferences in this sort of answers, so here are what would be my personal favorites in your situation.

> 1. What lens should I get?

If you are already shooting with a 1DS I assume you are in for the highest quality. Canon's 15mm would be my first choice. I do not know how the Nikon 10.5mm with adapter would perform on a full frame sensor.

Since you are on a Mac, PTgui is not an option (yet). I have no experience with Mac software, sorry. Autopano <http://www.autopano.net/> works great on the PC and is cross platform, but not with fisheye yet (see my comments below re print). Hugin is cross platform as well.

> 3. What head should I go for? A Kaidan or Manofrotto, or are there others?

If you go Sigma 8mm, I'd recommend Agnos MrotatorCP. I use it with a few modifications <http://www.photopla.net/wwp0506/newnpa.php> for travel convenience).

For more flexibility, Agnos MrotatorT is another choice. At the time I bought the CP the T was not yet on the market. Today I'd buy the T.

I have a Manfrotto 300N to which I compared the Agnos. The Manfrotto is bigger, pricier, but not more precise.

In normal situations head precision is not an issue, so I would not recommend spending money on an expensive, pin-registered head. They anyway achieve 100% precision only in lab conditions and the software is so good nowadays that it can handle the little imprecision of the less expensive heads.

> Main uses I envisage are to try my hand at full screen VR as I'm itching to
> try, even just for personal satisfaction and secondly for printed output.

For printed output, you might want to consider shooting multirow with a very wide angle lens (which you might already have for your 1Ds).

> Looking forward to showing my first full screen VR!

enjoy shooting and stitching!

Yuv