Sender:Yuval Levy
Date/Time:2006-Mar-08 13:59:16
Subject:Re: Long time lurker with 1DS pano questions

PanoTools: Re: Long time lurker with 1DS pano questions Yuval Levy 2006-Mar-08 13:59:16
panoramicsdk wrote:
> Julian
>
> Do not listen too much to Yuv

Julian

do not listen too much to Hans, he seems not to understand the difference between a pano head with properly calibrated NoParallaxPoint (NPP) and _no_ pin registration (such as the Manfrotto, Agnos, Kaidan and others of this world) and one with properly calibrated NoParallaxPoint and _with_ pin registration (such as the 360P).

Both type of head turns around the same NPP. The difference is that the pin registered ones will always come back to the same position, rotation after rotation, while the non-registered ones will have a slight variation of a degree or two.

> Automatic controlpoints are great but they will not help you if you have not used a decent
> panohead where you rotate around the parralaxfree point/nodalpoint
> You can not do that exactly by hand.

In my reply I _never_ suggested that turning the camera around the wrong point is not a problem, only that software has become more tolerant of small variations.

I've recently re-stitched multi-rows with 24 images taken with a very primitive and totally imprecise head. The head turned around the right NPP but it had no registration at all so while I could point it up and down, I did so approximately, and while I could rotate it the whole 360°, I did not have an exact point where to stop between shots. My images still covered the whole sphere, just not in a regular pattern. Two years ago when I shot these panos they would take me 320 manually set control points. It's 5 control points per overlapping image couple. You figure the time. Recently I took one of this old projects that I had unsolved stitching difficulties with. I fed it to PTgui and it was done in no time. Two years ago, a pin-registered head would have saved me the time of setting 320 CP. Today it does not save me much. All things being equal I would prefer a pin-registered head, but there are less expensive alternatives that I can live with and do not penalize me. If I we
re to spend money on an expensive head, I'd rather consider a motorized/controlled one.

Yuv