Sender:tahoedave360
Date/Time:2006-Mar-06 00:26:13
Subject:Re: Long time lurker with 1DS pano questions

PanoTools: Re: Long time lurker with 1DS pano questions tahoedave360 2006-Mar-06 00:26:13
--- In #removed#, Neill Watson <nw@...> wrote:

> However, I want to try my hand at a full screen using my regular Canon
> 1DS but have a few queries I hope can be answered easily:
>
> 1. What lens should I get? Most obvious is the Sigma 8mm, giving a circular
> image on the 1DS full frame sensor. However, a 15mm could also be
pressed
> into service in regular work too.

I second Luca's choice.  Go for the 15mm fisheye as you will actually get less
resolution from an 8mm on a 1DS than you would on a 20D because of the
density of pixels on the camera sensor.  For  not many more shots (five or six
around plus one up and one down using the 15mm full frame fisheye) you get
a much higher resolution panorama and don't have to deal with the softness
and light falloff of the 8mm lens.

> 2. What software? I used Panoweaver 3.01 previously. Should I simply buy
the
> upgrade to 4.00 or is Realviz Stitcher or PT Mac (I'm on OSX) a better
> option?

Another vote for PTMac here.  It's been a real workhorse for me and now that
it has automatic generation of control points, things go even quicker plus you
have all the power of Panotools.

> 3. What head should I go for? A Kaidan or Manofrotto, or are there others?

Kaidan has some new heads out a couple of weeks ago that look interesting.
Anyone here try them?  Some users go for the upscale 360Precision heads
which are solid as a rock and are a no brainer for locating the nodal point as
360P finds it for you but you need a new camera arm for each lens.  The
Agnos heads always seemed way overpriced for what you get.

Dave