Sender:panoramicsdk
Date/Time:2006-Mar-08 11:17:18
Subject:Re: Long time lurker with 1DS pano questions

PanoTools: Re: Long time lurker with 1DS pano questions panoramicsdk 2006-Mar-08 11:17:18
Julian

Do not listen too much to Yuv
Automatic controlpoints are great but they will not help you if you have not used a decent
panohead where you rotate around the parralaxfree point/nodalpoint
You can not do that exactly by hand.

If you have not done the pano in the nodalpoint you will still have to set controlpoints by
hand or you will use just as much time deliting wrong controlpoints.

Auto controlpoints can not choose controlpoints  only from areas far away

Setting controlpoints in a 4 image  Fisheye pano takes no time and  you can set up the
project in less than 5 minutes.
If you done the prework correct, meaning that you have made some testshots and got a
correction for the lens. If you done that you only need 2-3 controlpoints per pair.

For large multirow panoramas made with a good panohead the automatic controlpoints is
a revolution because  setting those really take some time.
But they will still give you bad panos if you have not used a decent panohead.

Another thing is that you can not do batch stitching with automatic controlpoints.
When I say batch I mean that you do not even set up a project for each but you just put the
images for each pano in a folder and drop them on a list.
This is what you can do with 360Precission

Ok I know I am now talking about how we do it on Mac
As far as I know PTGui does not have any of these batch functions

Hans
www.panoramas.dk

--- In #removed#, Yuval Levy <yuval_levy@...> wrote:

> Julian wrote:
> > I have never understood the need for accurate registering of shots anyway,
> > since PTGui works from control points, not absolute position.  Many people
> > do great handhelds that obviously are not accurately located, so what is
> > the point of accurate pin-registered shots apart from minimising overlap
> > and making things a bit easier?
> >
> > I ask this because I THINK it shows there is something I don't understand,
> > and I would like to!
>
> There used to be a time when identifying control points was a tedious manual task. At
that time, setting up the project in PTgui or any of the other panotools based stitching tool
could take hours.

> _Perfectly_ registered shots would make away with that tedious work, and here lies the
advantage of pin-registered heads _when used under ideal conditions_. Unfortunately
these ideal conditions are not always met.

> Improved software like PTgui or Autopano Pro also make away with that tedious work
and is more tolerant of non-accurate shot registering. Today it takes me less than six
minutes to set up a full PTgui project and the control point assistant is so good that I only
had two projects out of 300+ in the last five months that required editing of the control
points beyond setting three vertical control points (which I always do so that I do not have
to care of the bubble level when shooting).

> So the point of pin-registered shots was speed of execution, the reduction of manual
work. It is an excellent idea that has been made almost redundant by smarter software.