Sender:William Donelson
Date/Time:2005-Sep-11 11:13:12
Subject:Re: QT 7.02 - minimum download 32 megs! :(

PanoTools: Re: QT 7.02 - minimum download 32 megs! :( William Donelson 2005-Sep-11 11:13:12
Barry

Thanks. We no longer charge for viewing; that was a big waste of time. We had around
2,000 visitors per day, average, with only ONE visitor per day paying the $2 to view the
whole site (10% was free entry preview).

We have now opened the whole site, completely free, and have Google AdSense revenues
to support our sites.  This doesn't generate any riches for us, but is several times better
than the subscription model.

Our Explore the Taj Mahal requires Flash 5, and our Explore Kew Gardens and Explore St
Paul's Cathedral websites require Flash 6. We find that around 94% - 98% of visitors
already have Flash 6 installed (varies according to time of year).

So, very few are turned away, or even need to load Flash. And Flash is not a huge
download, especially since many visitors now have broadband of some sort.

In our future sites, we will be providing very large panos using Fulvio's new incremental-
to have almost twice the size (area) panos that we have on our Kew Gardens CD-ROM
version. (You can see a sample large pano by clicking on the 744 x 496 pano window-size
button on the Kew site - http://www.explore-kew-gardens.net )

We are getting ready to do a major work in the Middle East, which should be online by
next spring. I will let you all know when it's ready.

William

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/.Cr1lB/TM