Sender:Yuval Levy
Date/Time:2006-Mar-03 04:52:19
Subject:Re: "Brocap" integration - please test

PanoTools: Re: "Brocap" integration - please test Yuval Levy 2006-Mar-03 04:52:19
Bert Vierstra wrote:
> Oh...
>
> I just looked at the script....
>
> It seems that the actual detection is done on xenaura.com
>
> This would release MY site statistics to a third party....
>
> I will NEVER use a script like that, I consider this something like spyware.
>
> Why isn't the actual detection script released ???
>
> Bert

have you thought that putting your panoramas on a web page is like releasing YOUR panoramas to a third party? what is worth more, your panoramas or your statistics?

Let me clarify a few points:

1. this is a FREE SERVICE. If you are not happy, don't use it.

2. centralization of the detection process is an architectural choice. It enables
- early detection of new/exotic browser/plug-in combinations to the benefit of all sites using the detection mechanism
- timely upgrade (how many sites out there have outdated detection and stopped working properly?)
- efficient, low-cost maintenance, so that the service can be kept free of charge
- the creation of value for site viewer (choice of optimum plug-in), site owner (expanded audience) and for the community (see the topic statistic below).

3. technically, the detection on br.xenaura.com is done only once per visit. So your page-view statistics are not revealed to us. Much more of your statistics is revealed to other "Internet 2.0" tools like GoogleMaps or Statcounter. Again, you are free to use them or not.

4. We are not spying on anyone. Unless you qualify the detection of plug ins that we do on behalf of site owners as spying on what plug in is installed on the client machine.

5. your site's statistics might be interesting to you. They are nothing but a drop in an ocean (unless your site is yahoo.com) and of no interest to us. In terms of statistics what is interesting to us is the broad audience out there and the plug in popularity among them. When brocap will have collected enough detections to be statistically relevant, you will see aggregate statistics such as those at <http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/> with the difference that the Macromedia/NPD statistics are based on a limited survey of a specific subset of consumers while our statistics are from across the web (when there are enough sites that implement brocap).

Yuv